Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Journey to data and analytical work - part 1

How is my working life linked to data analysis? I was wondering too.

Supposedly started as technician back to year 2002, never thought of data analysis, and no idea what it was.

Back to then when handling MEPS and EMV deploymwnt projects, I was recording down number of things: the movements of EFTPOS terminals, the movements of MEPS SAM cards, the clients information,  et cetera. It all on the ms excel spreadsheet, even sometime just on paper. That time, no proper tracking inventory or tracking system, everything was on excel spreadsheet.

On that time, the purpose was very simple: to have evidence and protecting myself. Because I was newbie in the working life ( I worked for couple of months before as promoter and computer technician, but still fresh after graduated from university), and it was hardly for someone to help or protecting me. With me and the other malay partner as technical support, and working under those very forgetful managers, it was caution and reasonable steps.

On the time, had not thought much, records were just a pure records, no further major manipulation from there, other than just got some statistical results like devices faulty rate, deployment rate, returned rate, et cetera.

My recording process continued for years till got more human resources: girls on inventory and reporting, and guys in technical support. But the inventory and reporting system was basically just directly keyed in those records into ms access tables, without UI, not centerised and not controlled. Of cause errors happened, shouting heard daily of missing records or records being overwritten.

Till company was taken over on 2006...

No comments:

Post a Comment